Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Travels to the land of Voodoo


 I was born  into a family
 with strong esoteric leanings. 
My Grandfather was a poohbah in the Freemasons, 
and my father gave me  a ouija board 
and a deck of tarot cards when I was eleven.
Notes from school reminded Mum
  the school uniform was not all black, 
and could not every essay be about witches, please.



All images are creations of Polly Becker

My family was unusual. I never fitted in a box,
 so its easy to think outside one.
 polly becker Puzzle Child
For the past few years my work has been centred
 on the recovery of childhood innocence-
 Something that alluded me then, 
 needed to re connect with. 



 Every little softie I made took me closer
 to the heart of this journey.
 It's been a personal one.
 As a maker, often the significance of a work
is only known to you. It may or may not
 be understood by anyone else.
 Others will find a resonance for themselves -
 or not, and thereby identify your demographic.
 



 I think this puzzle has been solved for now. 
By identifying the pieces,
I could restore balance inside.

I can let that rest in my outer life.



We are all big holographs, anyway.
Made of stars.
While I made chiefly for myself,
I always had you in mind.
Soft figures still volunteer to be my vehicle,
 but they want to show their deeper sides now.


I'm drawn to the , 
 softly eco dyed figures of  Adrienne Kenafake.
They still lie in the realm of imagination,
 but feel a little more solid, laden with intent.
 


The little dogs above have eyes full of meaning
 despite their playful attitudes.
These guys know things.


I'm moving into another sphere,
and I invite you to come along - or not
 - as your intuition guides.






20 comments:

  1. puttin a little voodoo in your hoodoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to tag along. Love the artist's work you shared. We are indeed all molecules - dust and gas - rearranging themselves, assuming new form. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping on the bus and coming along for the ride ... I love an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh gosh, thank you for introducing me to Polly Beckers voodoo doll. I. AM. IN. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I discovered your blog about 3 weeks ago thru another blog. I just wanted to stop by to say "Hello" & that I really truely Love what you do & what you write about & how you write it :-) I have spent ages going back thru some old posts & your stories just really resonate with me :-) And I especially love dogs myself which definately gives us a common link. I look forward to following along with you on this next part of your journey. Thanks for the inspiration :-) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly eclectic family, J'adore! I made myself a guardian angel the other week, I hope you don't mind? X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in.... I'm coming for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this post is leaving me smiling wide. go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting the dogs made by Adrienne. Oh my...those dogs do have 'old soul' eyes.
    Very intriguingly created.
    Glad your creativity is finding its release in restoring the balance you have expressed.
    I totally loose myself when I am creating...or is it lose? Never could figure out the two!
    Oh well I do let loose when I am creating! Ha!
    I do fully enjoy coming to your blog full of creative muse.
    Take care!
    hugs
    Teresa in California
    http://amagcialwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a rich and weird post.
    So beautifully presented.
    Yes, creating is a journey .... we just follow a path and see where it leadeither backwards or forwards
    who knows.

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just please don't go too far...we love you!!! :-)

    (Ouija boards always spooked me...not you? I'd like to understand some of this stuff better, if you ever feel like an 'explanatory' post...kind of like your last one on Bruce and doggie anxiety.)

    P.S. What was the Softie that you had on your blog banner a year or so ago? I really loved it, but I've looked on your Etsy page multiple times and no-one felt like a 'fit.' Do you know the one I'm talking about, and do you still have him/her?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Neese!

    Just don't go too far, ok?
    Cuz we love you!

    XOXOXO Treen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in awe of you sitting with where you're at. Staying with the void, trusting that the next thing will emerge in time. You seem very clear about where you've been and where you are now.
    I adore your work and look forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in awe of you sitting with where you're at. Staying with the void, trusting that the next thing will emerge in time. You seem very clear about where you've been and where you are now.
    I adore your work and look forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in awe of you sitting with where you're at. Staying with the void, rather than trying to push on to the next thing. You seem very clear about where you've been and where you are now, trusting that what is next will emerge in time.
    I adore your work and find it very inspiring. I look forward to seeing where your journey takes you!
    Thank you for sharing yourself so boldly x

    ReplyDelete

Life is short. Speak your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...